Criminal Justice Degrees & Policies (ABE)
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Studies
- Completion of 120 credit hours
- Final 30 credit hours completed at LCN
- Minimum of 27 credit hours of upper division credit (300/400 level)
- Cumulative GPA of 2.50 or higher (2.80 or higher if Pre-Law Concentration)
Complete all general education requirements.
Foundation Courses (15 hours)
Five courses from the list below – “C” or better required for all.
- BUS 166: Management Information Systems or any college level computer science course
- PSY 101: Introduction to Psychology or any college level psychology course
- HIS 101: Western Civilization I or HIS 102: Western Civilization II
- POS 101: American Government
- SOC 101: Introduction to Sociology or any college level sociology course
Criminal Justice Mathematics Requirement (3 hours)
A “C” or better required.
- MAT 110 Elementary Statistics (Prereq. MAT 095)
Criminal Justice Core Classes (21 hours)
Seven courses from the list below – “C” or better required for all.
- CJS 108: Introduction to Criminal Justice
- CJS 240: Criminal Law I
- CJS 346: Criminal Law II
- CJS 350: Criminology
- CJS 353: Research Methods in Criminal Justice (Prereq. MAT 110) or CRT 303: (Prereq. MAT 110)
- CJS 456: Ethics in Criminal Justice or BUS 410: Business Ethics (Prereq. Jr./Sr. Standing)
- CJS 490: Senior Project (Prereq. CJS 353/CRT 303)
Students must complete at least one of the following concentrations of their choice:
Corrections/Counseling/Parole (18 hours)
Four courses from the list below – “C” or better required for all.
- PSY 207: Abnormal Psychology (Prereq. PSY 101)
- CJS 220: Corrections I
- CJS 420: Corrections II (Recommended sequence: CJS 220)
- CJS 422: Counseling in Criminal Justice (Recommended sequence: PSY 101)
Two courses from the list below.
- CJS 320: Women in Criminal Justice or
- CJS 380: Theories and Techniques of Counseling in Children and Adolescents or
- CJS 423: Drug and Alcohol Counseling (Prereq. CJS 422)
Management (18 hours)
Six courses from the list below – “C” or better required for all.
- BUS 205: Principles of Management
- BUS 314: Human Resource Management (Coreq. BUS 205)
- CJS 430: Management and Organizational Behavior in Criminal Justice Agencies (recommended sequence CJS 108) or BUS 318: Organizational Behavior and Theory (Coreq. BUS 205)
- BUS 412: Organizational Leadership (Prereq. BUS 318)
- CJS 458: Racism and the Criminal Justice System or BUS 316: Workforce Diversity
- ENG 302: Professional Writing (Prereq. ENG 102)
Major Electives (3 hours)
- Choose any CJS course or upper division elective approved by Program Director of Criminal Justice Studies & earn a C or better.