Grade & Transcript Definitions
An explanation of grades are as follows:
- A – indicates excellent work and carries a weight of 4 points for every credit hour in the course.
- B – indicates good work and carries a weight of 3 credit points for every credit hour in the course.
- C – indicates average work and carries a weight of 2 credit points for every credit hour in the course.
- D – indicates poor work and carries a weight of 1 credit point for every credit hour in the course.
- F – indicates failing work and carries no credit points.
- I – A grade of Incomplete (I) may be given only when the criteria listed below are met.
- W- The mark of Withdrawal (W) will be given when a student withdraws or is administratively with drawn from a class within the guaranteed W time limit. This carries no grade points.
- WF – The mark of WF will be given when a student withdraws or is administratively withdrawn from the class after the posted deadline for withdrawal and the student is doing “D” or “F” work. This mark will affect the grade point average.
- AU – The mark of Audit (AU) is given when the student enrolls with the purpose of attending the class but not receiving credit. Audited courses are only allowed in the Traditional Academic Programs and are not permitted in the Center for Adult Learning/ABE and Midwest College of Cosmetology. Permission to audit must be obtained from the instructor before registering, and the student must satisfy all prerequisites for the class he or she wishes to audit. The instructor has the final decision as to the conditions under which a student is permitted to audit the class, i.e., attendance, homework, and class participation policies. If the student does not abide by the instructor’s policy, permission to audit may be revoked. Audited classes do not count toward the fulfillment of degree requirements. A student enrolled in any class with “Audit” status may not convert to “For Credit” status after the 7th day of the semester in traditional academic programs and after the first.
- TR – The mark of Transfer (TR) is noted on Lincoln College transcripts when the student received transfer credit from another accredited institution.
- NC – Non-Credit
- R – The mark of Repeated (R) is noted on the transcript when a student repeats a course in a semester subsequent to completing the same course. If a student elects to repeat a course, the last grade received will be used in computing the cumulative grade point average. All grades received will be recorded on the permanent record, and other institutions may include all grades in evaluating the student’s record.