About Lincoln College
Lincoln College is a private liberal arts college, fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. In a small, residential campus setting, the college uniquely empowers students to realize their full potential. Lincoln College has long fostered a personal approach to education. It has had a tradition of personal education before the concept became universally popular. The tradition, guiding mission, faculty philosophy, student services, and low faculty-student ratio enable the college to provide the important element of individualized attention that makes the difference between failure and success for many students.
We welcome candidates for the position of Athletic Director that have a passion for coaching the coaches to recruit and develop students; creating an environment in which athletes can use their skills and abilities to their maximum potential and developing a positive image for the college and the athletic department.
The college is returning to its roots as a university; offering associate and bachelor degrees. We have applied to the NAIA in October 2017, anticipating full participation beginning with the fall 2018 semester. The perfect candidate will thrive in a fast paced, ever-changing environment and will positively contribute to the natural transition of the college into a university, including moving into a four- year athletic competition conference.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, the Athletic Director should demonstrate the following competencies.
• Proactively leads the Athletic Department and embraces change with innovation, courage and resiliency.
• Creates a compelling mission and purpose for the Athletic Department and energizes coaches and athletic staff to work toward shared goals.
• Communicates effectively across the department and college community to share information and encourages candid and open dialogue.
• Develops coaches and teams capable of exceptional performance.
• Student focused and works to exceed student’s expectation of the college athletic experience.
• Directs action toward achieving recruitment and retention goals that are critical to Lincoln College’s success.
• Manages performance effectively to achieve results through others.
• Uses knowledge of athletic conferences and coaching, and common sense to make the best decisions.
• Excels at building partnerships and fostering teamwork.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Athletic Director:
• Oversight of all athletic programs including the athletic budgets
• Oversight of all coaches and athletic staff
• Overall coordination of recruiting by the coaches ensuring full and competitive rosters
• Experience with athletic conference compliance
• Community relations as related to the Athletic Department
• Representing the college as on site administrator at home games/competitions
• Ensuring that the campus is prepared for home competitions (gym/field prepped, appropriate staff on help to assist, concession stand, etc.)
• Fund raising as needed and in coordination with the Office of Institutional Advancement
• Coordination of athletic training and rehabilitation
• Coordination of officiating for home games/contests
• Ensures the department’s delivery of outstanding service to current and prospective student athletes and their families.
• Determines operational decisions related to the department as well as staff and budget recommendations.
• Continually reviews and improves processes to ensure that the Athletic Department effectively and efficiently meets the expectations of the College.
• Maintains a department-operating budget.
• Supervisory responsibility for all athletic staff.
• Manages the activities of the staff and completes employee performance reviews annually.
• Provides leadership, direction, and motivation to the staff.
• Fosters strong relationships with key offices including Admissions, Financial Aid, Business Office, Registrar, NAIA or other athletic conferences.
• Conducts needs analysis of equipment, technology and facilities, makes recommendations to the Vice President.
• Prepares appropriate weekly reports regarding the status of athletic recruitment and retention.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Education and/or Experience: Master’s degree preferred
• At least five years’ progressively responsible experience serving in a higher education athletics office.
• Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Must be able to demonstrate the proven abilities of intellectual reasoning, power of persuasion, and consistent dedication to the position.
• Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Computer Skills: Knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word). Ability to learn to operate college-specific software and applications.
• Must be a dedicated and driven professional who demonstrates energy, vision, and charisma. Must be able to exercise both authority and good judgment in a variety of situations, demonstrating exceptional leadership characteristics and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and to work in a high-volume, fast-paced, goal-oriented atmosphere, both independently and as part of a unified team.
• Excellent leadership; customer service, phone, mentoring, training, and organizational skills are necessary.
• Knowledge of applicable policies and regulations associated with the NJCAA or other athletic conference as well as Title IX.
• Significant and successful coaching experience (minimum of five years) at the college level.
• Ability to manage budgets and to ensure fiscal prudence in the Athletic Department.
• Master’s degree required.
For full consideration, please complete and submit an application form (https://lincolncollege.edu/wp-content/uploads/Employment-Application.pdf ) and submit a resume, cover letter and a list of three (3) professional references to Susan Boehler, Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Services, Lincoln College 300 Keokuk Street, Lincoln, IL. 62656 Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Lincoln College is an Equal Opportunity Employer